Food is Medicine
Access to a nutritious meal shouldn't be a worry for people with cancer, HIV/AIDS, kidney or heart disease, and other serious illnesses. But many who are ill find themselves with little to eat. Some are unable to cook. Others find they must choose between food and medicine to make ends meet. And going without the healthy food their bodies need can mean spending more time in the hospital, spending more money on health care, and facing worse health outcomes.
That's why, with help from thousands of community members, Project Angel Heart prepares and delivers delicious, medically tailored meals--free of charge--to Coloradans coping with sever illness. Our meals are designed to improve their quality of life and the effectiveness of their medical treatments.
- Each week, we prepare and deliver nutritious meals for more than 1,800 Coloradans living from Boulder and Weld Counties to Metro Denver to Colorado Springs and Pueblo! Every week! We will deliver over 700,000 meals before the end of 2023.
- Our clients are all facing severeillnesses including breast and ovarian cancer, kidney disease, heart disease, HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis, alzheimer's disease, and many other conditions.
- Like our cookie dough, Project Angel Heart's medically tailored meals are made from scratch using high quality ingredients. Our registered dietitian reviews menus to ensure they complement each individual's medical treatment plan, and our chef's modify meals up to 200 different ways to suit clients' specific needs.
- Volunteers drive 82,000+ miles each year, in their own vehicles, to deliver meals to clients' front doors.
Impact of Medically Tailored Meals
- 74 percent of Project Angel Heart clients report an improved quality of life
- 80 percent report better healthy eating habits
- 72 percent are better able to afford their basic needs
- 64 percent can remain independent in their homes