Nutrition Tips for Dining Out
If you're like us, you love dining out! Dining out brings a sense of pleasure, celebration, connection, and tradition! When we do it mindfully, dining out can also support a healthy lifestyle.
Here are six tips to consider when dining out to ensure that you enjoy your meal and give your body the nutrients it needs!
- Take time to review the menu ahead of time and find balanced options that you enjoy. Restaurants often have nutrition information available online, as well!
- Keep to your regular mealtimes and portion sizes to support your digestion and help you feel your best.
- Variety is the spice of life! Try to include colorful, fresh foods from each group. Prioritize vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins like chicken and fish.
- Starting your meal with a fiber-rich appetizer like roasted vegtables or a salad can help keep your energy levels steady and aid digestion.
- Eat slowly and listen to your hunger and satiety cues! It can take up to 20 minutes for your stomach and brain to communicate when you’ve had enough to eat.
- Skip sweetened drinks like soda and sweet tea. Try sparkling water with a slice of lemon or lime. Warm tea (ginger, mint or other herbals) after your meal can help with any stomach discomfort and support digestion.