Pratt Family Team/RTI International
*** MESSAGE ABOUT ANGELS AMONG US FOR 2021 AND 2022.
2021 TENTATIVE DATE/ 2022 DATE: The Angels Among Us team is working with everyone at Duke to finalize October 2, 2021 for our fall event date. We are so hopeful we will see you in person this fall. But, if not, we will honor our patients and families virtually in 2021 and plan on a grand celebration - in person - next year! Save the date: April 30, 2022!!
Our family and the RTI International Team are raising funds in support of the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke: the 28th annual Angels Among Us event at Duke -- Saturday, 10/2. We will be participating again this year (5K run; family walk -- either virtually or in person) and would love to have your support.
You may contribute on-line or send/give us a check -- payable to Duke University 21BT. We would love it if you could join us for the event!
Our daughter, Michelle (who is 33 now), received great care at the Brain Tumor Center for a brain stem lesion she had in 1997. She is doing very well. She is working in Raleigh and happily married.
We have been blessed to be a part of this strong community for 20+ years. We have been honored to meet and develop friendships with some amazing people including:
- Tom O'Donnell, our close friend and running buddy for 9+ years and 12 year brain tumor survivor. Tom is getting ready for his 8th Boston Marathon and has completed 25 marathons -- all of them since his first brain surgery in 2009. He is a lovable individual and a wonderful inspiration!
- Jodi Novak, an effervescent and enthusiastic person with an infectiously positive outlook who has had 2 miracle children subsequent to her brain tumor diagnosis.
- Nestor Paonessa, diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor in 2015. In 2016, Nestor completed the Umstead 100 mile ultra-endurance run, a remarkable achievement for anyone, that much more amazing when on chemotherapy! He and his wonderful wife, Ashley, have been blessed with their first child, Kai; he was born in January 2019.
- Greg Sousa, a person who lived life to its fullest, whether biking hundreds of miles, competing in triathlons, or spending time with his beautiful family. Greg's memory will stay alive in so many of us that were fortunate to have known him.
- Sean Bunn, the Governor of Triangle Red Sox Nation, who had a positive, other-centered, thumbs-up attitude and touched so many others. His amazing parents, Ben and Marion Bunn, provided great support for Sean and continue to be strong advocates for Angels Among Us.
100% of the proceeds from the event help to identify effective treatments and cures for brain tumors (there are over 100 different types of brain tumors). Brain tumor researchers are a "small community" in that the research done at leading institutions, like Duke, benefits patients worldwide. Duke's Brain Tumor Center is widely recognized as one of the finest in the world.
Thanks so much for your support.
The Pratt Family