Friends of Hanover Crew
Hello Friends of Hanover Crew Prouty Team-
2020 is a year unlike any other so the 2020 Prouty will be one unlike any other too! In case you haven’t heard, this year’s Prouty will be entirely virtual. Before diving into the details, however, I want to tell you that as a nurse working at Norris Cotton Cancer Center, even though it seems most of the world has stopped, cancer hasn’t stopped. We have had to get creative with how we treat it. We conduct some visits via telehealth if that makes the most sense, we see patients alone without any of their family joining them to minimize exposure all around, we conduct tumor boards and team meetings via webex from our basements, garages and makeshift home offices when needed so we can minimize the number of people in the clinic at any time. We continue to open new clinical trials, treat patients in the hospital with stem cell transplants and cutting edge CAR-T therapy, we have spread out patients in the infusion room, we are expanding molecular testing which even proved useful in testing for Covid. More than anything though, we miss being able to hug our patients. This is not normal cancer care but it is the most appropriate care for the times to protect our immunocompromised patients. This is the work we do and why we need your support. Below is information straight from the Prouty regarding details of how things will work this year and once again, Friends of Hanover Crew are partnering with the McLaughlin Family to raise additional money for the Cancer Center. The McLaughlin Family will match the first $250 that each participant raises, exclusive of the Byrne match. Please note that this match has an overall cap of $30,000!!
Welcome to the new 2020 Virtual Prouty! We’re delighted to be able to continue the Prouty’s 39-year tradition in a way that will keep all our participants and volunteers safe and healthy and yet stay true to our mission of raising funds for important cancer research and crucial patient services at Dartmouth and Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s Norris Cotton Cancer Center.
Because of COVID-19, we will NOT be bringing 4,000 people together on July 11. Instead, we are inviting you to be part of the 2020 Virtual Prouty: bike, walk, row (if you can), golf (if possible) or do any other event you’d like from the comfort of your home or the safety of the outdoors. And we’re encouraging you to do it between the dates of June 1 and July 11.
– You're invited to kick-off the 2020 Virtual Prouty with us on Thursday, May 14, at 5:30pm via Zoom! We'll announce a NEW way to earn Byrne Match dollars and have four great speakers lined up including Dr. Steve Leach, Director of Norris Cotton Cancer Center.
– We are waiving minimums for Prouty participants, and Prouty Ultimates have a significantly lowered minimum.
– The Jack & Dorothy Byrne Foundation match will now start at the $100 level for a dollar-for-dollar match, instead of the $250 level. Two-for-one matching will remain at the $1,000 level. We will make this retroactive.
– There will be no ProutyGear, but you will be able to buy a commemorative Prouty bike jersey, wicking shirt, and other items at the Louis Garneau Prouty store or purchase a 2020 Virtual Prouty cotton t-shirt for $15.
– As some may have heard, Jean Brown has decided that the time has come to retire and she will be stepping down as the Executive Director of the Friends of NCCC on August 1, 2020. To honor Jean’s legacy, we have established the Jean’s Legacy Fund, a tangible way for us to recognize her service and to say thank you. This Fund will support research and patient and family services as well as count in 2020 Prouty totals.
Maureen Stannard, RN, BS, OCN
Friends of Hanover Crew has 124 members and has now raised $41,441.54 from 188 donors. Their goal is $0.00.