Provide a sewing machine, fabric and thread (2012 - WB)
- A sewing machine gives a poor family a wonderful opportunity to earn income by making clothing and other textile products. Sewing machines provided by Food For The Poor are equipped to operate by either electricity, or in homes without electricity, by foot pedals.
Provide 100 chicks for poor families (2012 - WB)
- The gift of baby chicks provides a poor family not only with a sustainable source of protein from eggs, but also with supplemental income from selling extra eggs. Chickens are inexpensive to raise and maintain, and the protein provided by eggs helps prevent the devastating effects of malnutrition.
Provide a donkey for transportation (2012 - WB)
- A donkey is an incredible asset for a poor family. This strong work animal can haul loads of goods or fresh produce to market, and can also provide a sure-footed means of transportation in mountainous terrain.
Send a child to school for a year (2012 - WB)
- Your gift will help put eager students on a path out of generational poverty. Educational assistance, based on need, is given annually to elementary and middle school students in Haiti and Jamaica. Tuition and fees, shoes, uniforms and books are all needs that can be met through your gift. Your gift will ensure that desperately poor families no longer have to decide between giving their children an education or feeding them.
Provide a water pump for a thirsty village (2012 - WB)
- Across Latin America and the Caribbean, contaminated water causes disease and even death among young children. Your gift to provide clean water will help answer the fervent prayers of poor villagers who desperately need this lifesaving resource.
Provide 1000 lbs. of rice and beans (2012 - WB)
- Rice and beans are an important source of protein and carbohydrates for hungry families. These staples provide vital nutrients to children who might otherwise starve. You can help end the cries of hunger through a gift of rice and beans.
Provide a computer system, 6 workstations (2012 - WB)
- Computers open doors to another world for a child living in Third World poverty. Schoolchildren who learn computer skills are better equipped to further their education and become competitive in the workforce.
Provide a cow for a family (2012 - WB)
- A dairy cow is a priceless gift for a destitute family without income. The milk the cow produces gives children the nutrition they desperately need. The milk can be turned into cheese and butter, giving the family not only nutritious protein, but also a valuable source of income.
Food For The Poor has maintained fundraising and administrative costs of less than 5% of its expenses; more than 95% of all donations go directly to programs that help the poor.
Food For The Poor Canada — Canadian residents donate here
Food For The Poor provides emergency international relief to Latin America & the Caribbean — and takes swift action whenever and wherever people need help.