Take Action For National Green Schools
Dear President Obama [Decision Maker],
Thank you for your leadership to forge an economic recovery stimulus package that includes a focus on energy efficiency, green jobs, and sustainable buildings. We recognize as you have reiterated that we have much farther to go to recover from the environmental and economic crises. The opportunity is before us to create a truly green economy, and fight climate change.
While there were important provisions that can be used to green a key piece of our future and our communities, we think we can achieve so much more by impacting a cornerstone of our society: education and schools. The stimulus package provides no requirement that any funds spent on school construction or modernization be used to create healthy, high performing, green schools.
Green schools are designed, built, renovated, and operated in an ecological and resource-efficient manner, and
- Reduce indoor air quality problems and asthma attacks, helping increase average daily attendance
- Improve day lighting and learning environments, helping increase test scores by 8 to 22%
- Reduce operating costs which results in funds being put right back into the classroom
- Serve as living solutions to climate change and other environmental challenges in every neighborhood in America
- Create green jobs through new construction while providing a chance for all Americans to take part in improving education, the economy, and the environment.
I strongly urge you to push Congress to make green schools a high priority in the 2010 legislative year, and future budget appropriations. In turn, I pledge to urge our local school districts and city councils, mayors, governors, and state legislators to utilize green standards for school construction, and I commit to helping create gardens, refurbish classrooms, and participate in other volunteer activities in my local schools.
[City, State ZIP]