How MS Read-A-Thon works
Before the Kick-Off Assembly
- Confirm your kick-off date and time with your MS Read-A-Thon coordinator.
- Mark MS Read-A-Thon in your school calendar!
- Inform staff. Post the Staff Room poster and talk to your colleagues about the program.
- Inform parents. Send a notice home about the upcoming campaign or post it on your school's website
- Start making morning announcements and ask all the staff and students to wear red to the assembly to show their enthusiasm.
- Review the MS Read-A-Thon Handbook for instructions on how to set up and personalize your school's online fundraising page.
- The Kick-Off Assembly is approximately 30 minutes in length and shares what multiple sclerosis is, the importance of reading and how MS Read-A-Thon works with students and staff.
- Encourage all teachers to attend with their class and talk to their students about what they learned and how their class will help!
- Ask teachers to distribute Student Donation Kits to interested participants, and encourage them to set up their online fundraising page and create fundraising goals.
During the reading period
- Reading can take place as a class activity and at home for 2-3 weeks. During that time, students will be collecting donations for their reading. We emphasize in the assembly that there should be no door-to-door solicitation. Students are only to ask people they know for donations.
- Review the Money Collection Information in the MS Read-A-Thon Handbook.
- Expect your MS Read-A-Thon coordinator to contact you for an update.
After the reading period
- Students submit their completed Student Donation Kits (Minute Tracking Sheet, Donation Tracking Sheet and donations in a plastic baggie or envelope) to their teacher.
- Remind teachers to gather Student Donation Kits in the Class Collection Envelope. Teachers do not need to count the funds submitted by their students.
- Refer to the Money Collection section of the MS Read-A-Thon Handbook for details on Brinks pick-up or alternate arrangements to ensure funds are delivered to the MS Society.
After Money Collection
- Use the postage-paid envelope provided to send late submissions to the MS Society.
- Your chosen awards and participant thank-you gifts will be sent to your school approximately six to eight weeks after funds have been received by the MS Society.