Building Your Team
- Check out our 3-Day Recruitment Kit.
- Email your friends and family from your Participant Center, inviting them to join your team.
- Change your Facebook status message, send a tweet or update your personal blog. Click here for suggested messages to post.
- Come to a Susan G. Komen 3-Day® informational meeting, meet-up, workshop or training walk and ask if anyone is interested in teaming up with you.
- Become an official Komen 3-Day training walk leader. Posting your training walks on The3Day.org will help introduce your team to other walkers in your area who might want to join you.
- Call us to let us know that your team is willing to accept out-of-town walkers who are looking for a team to join.
- Call us and request a list of participants in your area who are looking to join a team.
- Host a recruitment party at your house. Show the 3-Day® videos from our website and ask your party guests to join your team.
- Host an informational meeting at your workplace.
- Write an article for your company/organization newsletter.
- Put a 3-Day poster up at your office, school or place of worship.
- Search the 3-Day Friend Finder to find participants in your community.
- Form a team with your family—it’s a bonding experience like nothing else.
- Start a team with the people in your area or neighborhood.
- Start a team with an organization you represent.
How Others Register to Join Your Team
Each time a new team member comes on board, make sure they know the name of your team (and team password, if you created one). If they register online, they should select the “Join a Team” option, and select your team name from the list of registered teams. Registered participants can join your team with the “Change Team Membership” link on the Participant Center home page (on the right-hand side).
Opening Your Team to Members of the Public
Walkers often register for the 3-Day and want to join a team, even though they don’t know anyone else registered for the event. We try to match these walkers with friendly teams who are willing to take new members under their wing. To add your name to our 3-Day Friend Finder, edit your profile on The3Day.org to check “I am willing to open my team to new members from the public and share my contact information.” Then visit the 3-Day Friend Finder page in your Participant Center (The3Day.org/Friend) to update your profile with more information about you and your team.
We make an extra effort to try to match walkers who live far away from the 3-Day location with a team, so they’ll have someone familiar to connect with once they get to the event. If you would like to open your team to walkers who live farther away, please call us at 800-996-3DAY and we will add you to our special list. You may not be able to see team members in person before the event, but you can still support them via phone and email.
How to Host a Recruitment Party
- Secure a location: a conference room at work, your neighborhood recreation center, your church or your house.
- Send out an invitation to the party. Invite people who donated to you last year, your friends, family, neighbors—anyone whom you might want on your team.
- If you would like someone from the 3-Day to attend your teambuilding party, contact us to ask if a coach or veteran participant is available to attend.
- Use social media to promote and remind people about the event and to cast a wider net.
- Confirm your RSVPs.
- Set up for the party—you’ll need chairs, a computer with Internet access so you can show the video and some tasty refreshments.
- During the party:
- Start by explaining why you are participating in the 3-Day.
- Ask a team member who has walked previously to share her/his personal story and show pictures from their event experience.
- Show one of the videos available on YouTube.com/user/komen3day.
- Ask everyone to join your team as a walker or crew member. For those who are unable to participate, ask them to donate.
- If you don’t know an answer to a question, check The3Day.org/FAQ or contact a 3-Day coach.
- Have a list of the local and virtual 3-Day meetings scheduled in your area and ask the group to attend one together.
- If possible, set up a computer and have the website available for people to become familiar with all the tools that will be available to them once they register to join your team.
- Have fun! Let others feel the positive energy generated by joining your team
- Send a thank you email from your Participant Center to everyone who attended your party, asking them to join your team if they haven’t already.
Starting a Team within Your Company or Organization
Participating in the 3-Day with co-workers and colleagues is a great way to boost team spirit at your company or organization. Host a recruitment party at your workplace or rally your co-workers to attend a local 3-Day meeting together.
Ask your employer to sponsor or support your team:
- By allowing the team to recruit new members within the company. Ask your employer to be an active partner, helping you recruit other employees, family and friends to register for the 3-Day.
- By allowing your team to actively fundraise within the company—with posters, information on the company intranet, an article in the company newsletter and during meetings or the lunch hour.
- By donating the registration fees for each participant.
- By sponsoring any team t-shirts you are having produced.
- By giving you a paid day off for the Friday of the event.
- By offering matching gifts for donations received.
- By providing each team member with a company T-shirt to train in and wear on the event.
- By hosting a cheering station along the route. (More information on cheering stations will become available approximately 2-4 weeks before the event.)