This year-long global multi-religious youth campaign will focus on advancing shared security by:
- abolishing nuclear weapons,
- stopping the proliferation and misuse of conventional arms,
- reducing military expenditure by 10% to make the achievement of the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) possible by 2015.
JOIN OUR CALL!
Global military expenditure reached the unprecedented level of $1.464 trillion in 2008*.
Only 10% (ten percent) of the total global military budget would be sufficient to enable the full achievement of the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)**.
Religions for Peace invites you to join leaders of the world’s religious traditions in our year-long global campaign for shared security. Our target number of petitions is 50,000,000 (fifty million). Signed petitions will be delivered to the United Nations Secretary General, the permanent members of the Security Council, as well as to Heads of State and Members of Parliament in your country.
Your signature CAN make a change! Please sign the petition by clicking the button above or by clicking here and join our call.
* Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI): http://www.sipri.org/yearbook/2009/05
* * The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are the world's time-bound and quantified targets, with a deadline of 2015, for addressing extreme poverty in its many dimensions - income poverty, hunger, disease, lack of adequate shelter, and exclusion - while promoting gender equality, education, and environmental sustainability. They are also basic human rights - the rights of each person on the planet to health, education, shelter, and security. http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/